This asana appears similar to Ustrasana and is little complicated to perform at the first time. However, if you do routine practices, it may start appearing easier to you. As the name indicates, Viparit-Padahastasana means, performing a posture opposite to Padahastana. As in Padahastana, a person bends forward and maintains a connection between feet and hands, in Viparit-Padahastasana, the person bends in a backward motion to do the same action. This asana has special benefits for the health of spinal cord and nervous system.
Experts believe that this asana can improve physical, mental and even emotional balance in the body. The person who practices Viparit-Padahastasana in routine can reverse the signs of aging by staying active for a longer run. This asana is also useful for those who want to increase height. It works by making nerves flexible, soft and active while dealing with the waist, neck, head and back pain.
Stand straight and maintain some space between your legs. Raise your hands as higher as possible. Keep your palms open but your fingers close to each other. Your palms should face backwards. Now slowly bend your back backwards until you are able to hold your ankle with your hands and keep your neck down; allow all your body weight to fall on your palms, which in turn will transfer on to your ankles. In this manner, your body forms a bow. Remain in this position for one minute and get back to your original position. This asana can be repeated for three times.
Viparit-Padahastasana is similar to Dhanurasana and Ushtrasana. This asana is tricky to do in the initial days but with daily practice, it will not be difficult in the later days. However, do not ever give your body a sudden jerk when doing this asana.
Things to know before you perform Viparit-Padahastasana:
Viparit-Padahastasana is a complicated yoga pose and it must be performed under the guidance of experts only. If you are suffering from a backache and waist pain, it is not good to practice Viparit-Padahastasana as it may worsen the condition. Note that, yoga activities should not be performed with a jerk in the body as it may cause strain on neck and nervous system. While performing this yoga pose, prefer to consider these things in your mind:
- When you are ready to do backbends, it is important to create length between vertebrae. Experts advise being careful as it should not cause a crunch or collapse in your body. Make efforts to keep your pelvis stable and try to lengthen the sternum towards the sky.
- Prefer to practice in pose slowly; it is not good to stress your body to bend beyond its ability.
- In a gentle motion, try to draw the tailbone forward and press the front portion of thighs backward. This counteraction helps to stabilize the pelvis when you lengthen your spine by avoiding the compressive force.
- If you are just beginning with this pose, it is important to take few days to learn the alignment of pubic bone, hips, and You perform this pose by taking help from wall to balance the body.
- Make sure not to take your head so far otherwise it can cause strain on your neck. Your body must be comfortable and extended during this posture without any unwanted stress and pressure.
Benefits of Viparit-Padahastasana:
This asana makes the spine flexible, and increases your height. The nerves become tender and vigorous. This asana exercises the head, neck, spine, back, arms, thighs and legs. Viparit-Padahastasana slows down the process of aging and keeps the body agile. With this asana, the face gets back its natural shine, activates the digestive system and the body remains disease-free.