Instructions: Lie down straight on your back and stare at the ceiling. The palms should face down to the floor and kept very close to your body. The heels and toes of both the legs must be close to each other. Take a deep breathe again and raise your legs, and do not stop inhaling unless your legs are vertical. Then exhale and lift your legs higher towards the sky. Once in the position, stop exhaling and resume normal breathing. It is important to remember that when you are lifting your legs even higher, keep your hands on your hips in such a manner that the hands assist in lifting your legs upwards and provide support to hold most of the weight.
Lift your body as per your capacity. Ultimately, your body should be held steady on your shoulders and your chin resting on your chest. The palms must be placed on your lower back and upper-arms and elbows on the floor close to the shoulders. Remember to keep the legs straight and close to each other. Also, the heels must be as close to each other as possible. The toes must be facing the sky. Keep your body straight and remain in this position for thirty seconds, simultaneously continue to breathe normally. Post-several practice sessions, one can remain in this posture for three minutes.
Now, bend your legs on the knees, move your hands towards your hips and slowly begin to bring your body back on the floor. The palms will provide support to the body all the time; it is important to control the body weight with your upper-arms and shoulders.
First, the hips reach the floor. Then pull down your legs towards your hips and then spread them straight on the floor and rest.
The time of your relaxation should be four times the time taken in maintaining the body on your shoulders.
- Sarvangasana tones the legs, buttocks, back, and core muscles
- Sarvangasana stretches the shoulders and improves flexibility of upper spine
- Sarvangasana calms the brain / nervous system and helps relieve stress
- Sarvangasana improves digestion
- Sarvangasana massages and stimulates the thyroid, parathyroid and prostate glands thus improving metabolism
- Sarvangasana massages abdominal organs and improves digestion
- Sarvangasana helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Sarvangasana flushes mucous from the lungs
- Sarvangasana helpful in relieving asthma, hemorrhoids, hernia, and diabetes